In the late 1800's, before Dakota Territory became a State, the Eastern end of Foster County began to be settled. The area would become known as the township and village of Glenfield. Subdivisions were established by George W. Philips Jr. in 1884. In 1881, Charles Scott measured the east, south, west and the north boundary lines designating Glenfield Township. Total acreage is 23,000.08 acres. Many of the pioneers or "first Settlers" traveled by boat from their home countries to the United States, from New York they traveled by train to North Dakota and Foster County, many by way of Jamestown. Early Pioneers came from Norway, Sweden, Iowa, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania and started settling on the treeless, windswept, barren prairie.
Martin McWethy came in April of 1878. B. Ryum arrived in 1884. Wm. Bradford and John Bradford arrived in April of 1885. Hiram Bond and T. Bradford arrived in April of 1885. Valmer Horn settled on Section 14 in 1886. Herman and Anton Johnson came in July of 1886. Gustav Johnson came in July of 1886, also. Carl Erickson arrived in June of the same year. John Anderson came in July. Iver Elvrum settled on section 12 in 1886, also. Thomas Hoggarth can in 1887. Charles Thompson came in June of 1888. Edward G. Johnson and Ed Torgeson came in March of 1889. Others that followed were, Charles Hendrickson, John Johnson, and T.E. Thompson. Torsten I. Elvron arrived in 1890, and in 1891 William and Robert Bradford, John Hoggarth and Evory Horn settled here.
In 1886, the first post office was opened on Section 34, there also was a post office located on Section10. By the 1900's, all the even numbered Sections were taken; and by 1910 every Section in the Township had been settled. The town of Glenfield is located on Section 21 and at one time there were schools located on Sections 8, 11, and 29. A cemetery is located on Section 24. The following notice appeared in the Carrington Newspaper on May 16, 1912. "Third New Town started" "Glenfield." "Lots go on sale Monday". The following businesses were established: two lumber yards, two general stores, a restaurant and a hotel, also a blacksmith shop, a bank and a hardware store. The city will be located in the center of Glenfield Township about 20 miles from Carrington. The City of Glenfield chartered and established next to the newly laid Great Northern Surrey Cut-Off on Section 21. The new town of Glenfield (named, for the township in which it was located, sprang up, almost like magic!
In 1912, Lots One through Six was donated by John Berg. Today this area is known as the Berg Addition. Many original settlers remained and continued to farm the land Bradfords, John Dybwad, Ira Bunnell, H.S.Halverson, Carl McDaniel, Conrad Thiede, H.M. Tucker, A.H. Berg, William Thurlow, H.J.Bond, Dan Clancey, A.W. Johnson, William Turner, T.E. Hutchinson, Carl Erickson and Herman and Anton Johnson to name a few.
In 1913, the Courtenay Gazette reported, "The growth of Glenfield in the past 10 months has been a little less than phenomenal. The people, individually or collectively, are always on the job when it comes to promoting a "good thing". The present business places are; two general stores, one lumberyard, one implement house, two grain elevators, one hardware store, one bank, one pool hall, one confectionery, two restaurants, one blacksmith shop, one livery barn and one dray line. Also, a large business block is now under construction. "
May the people who are living in this area, now and the future generations, carry on the pioneer spirit. The indomitable spirit of the pioneer has been a vital characteristic of the businessmen in this little community throughout its history, and that is undoubtedly why it survived economic crash and depression, drought, fire, and transportation improvements that took trade to larger centers. Organizations were formed. The town was incorporated. Tax benefits meant many improvements, like city water, sewage systems, plumbing, a fire department, and low cost housing.
There are many stories about the amazing people who lived here, farmed, ran businesses, raised families and eventually died here. They are found in books such as "A History of Foster County" printed in 1983, and "The Glenfield History Book 1886-1987" created by Doris and Harland Erickson for the 75th Diamond Jubilee Celebration of Glenfield and the surrounding area. How good it feels to be a part of this fine community. May the people who are living here, now and the future generations, be proud of their ancestors and what they created, and carry on the pioneer spirit. May the next 100 years be filled with love and hope, joy and prosperity!